Sunday, November 25, 2012

Mixed Media Canvas (With a Video Tutorial!!)


I've really enjoyed dabbling with mixed media designs lately and although I've done some mixed media designs on my scrap pages I thought it was time to try out a mixed media canvas! And I'm so excited to share with you the step by step video I prepared to share with you how I put this project together!!  I've been reading books on mixed media, exploring different techniques and one that I just have to give a try was this couture figure mixed media design.  I was at Chapters over the weekend and had picked up a book called Collage Couture by Julie Nutting, so I would say this is where I drew much of my inspiration for this canvas design I made up here.  For this mixed media piece I used a whole lotta Websters Pages In Love collection papers and some Dusty Attic Chipboard as well.
I first began by sketching out a figure on some paper and then sketched out a dress design.  Below is a picture of the sketch I made... 
I then layed a piece of white paper over my sketch and began drawing out the individual pieces that would make up my couture figure.  Below is my template for the figure..... 
I know that sketching doesn't come easy to everyone so if you are not up for drawing out your own figure, you are welcome to print off the above template to make up your own couture figure.  If you right click on the picture above and 'Save Picture As' to your computer, you can print out the template and cut out the shapes to make your own couture canvas.  Just print it out on an 8.5 x 11 inch piece of paper, cut out and then trace the pieces on the patterned paper of your choice.  ....Here are some close-up photos of my finished layout (You can watch a video below and see how I put the whole canvas together).... 


The quote I used for this one I thought was fitting because of the playful movement of the figure I drew up, I found the quote on Pinterest.....it says....
"There was something in her movements that made you think
that she never walked but....
Always danced"
So, grab yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy a little video I put together showing a step by step on how I put this mixed media canvas together, I hope you enjoy it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment