Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mostly Nerdy Crochet's Fizzgig Pattern!

 Full Credit goes to MNC.

Fizzgig

Fizzgig with pattern!

Well after taking a trip down memory lane with The Labyrinth I, of course, had to watch The Dark Crystal too.

So naturally with my movie all set up my fingers were itching for another crochet project. Turned out that the project was a little more involved, but still quite fun. (By fun I mean I was about to pull my hair out getting all of his to look right).

Fizzgig is by far one of the most adorable creatures that Jim Henson created. I mean, part dog, giant mouth, cute temperament, and what amounts to a large ball of fuzz? If I could adopt one I would... but since I can't I made one instead.

Anyway who cares about me blabbing on (I mean really, do you seriously follow this blog because of my creative writing skills?) I demand PICTURES!




Fizzgig Untested Pattern
Body:
(Make these stitches looser than you would normally)
Magic circle with 6 sc in the center
Increase to 12
Inc ever other stitch for three rows
Increase every 3rd stitch for 1 row
Sc 10, inc, sc 10, inc, for 2 rows
4=rows
Ch 25, attach back to the base about half way across with a sc (follow the slack around the circle, this will be the opening for his mouth)
5 = rows
Sc 10, decrease, sc 10, dec for 3 rows
Sc 5, dec, sc 5, dec for 2 rows
Dec  every 3rd stitch for 2 rows
Dec until closed.
Mouth:
In red; crochet a basic flat oval with an 8 ch base (more accurate patterns easily found online than what I would be able to describe). Increase in size until it more or less matches the size of the mouth opening. Attach to the mouth opening, but don’t forget to stuff before you close! Only put polyfill in the top and bottom sections, do not fill completely as this will prevent his mouth from closing.
Little feet – Optional (usually you just see him as a giant fluff ball)
Ch 40, link ch 40 to ch 1
2=rows
Ch 4 and link directly across (create a narrow oval with line through it)
Working on half the oval at a time: 1=row*
Using same “ch 4 and attach” separate the half into three sections
Sc around the new thirds and decrease each row until you have a point. Fasten off or slip stitch back to the next opening. Repeat for all three toes.
Repeat from * for the second foot. (they will be very close together, feel free to make each foot individually by skipping the initial large oval).
Attach to the bottom of his body so his toes peak out.
Detail time!
Sc 1 row of dark brown around his mouth. Cut out off white felt in a tooth pattern and sew to the top and bottom of his mouth. Also cut a tiny tooth set for the back of his mouth and sew on. Using black felt cut out his “throat” but remember the little red dangly guy!
Follow the same general procedure for his eyes and nose. As for his fluffiness  you will be looping dozens of 2”-3” chunks of yarn through the loose stitches all over his body. Make sure you’ve attached his eyes and nose before you fluff up his face. I had a 4ply yarn that I separated each strand apart to give him extra oomph. Kind of looks like he got a perm, but at least he’s properly fluffed!
(Pictures to help you understand what the heck I'm talking about)

 (For the feet)

 (For the fuzz)




No comments:

Post a Comment